Detail View: NASA Image eXchange Collection: Complete NACA Muroc Staff of 1950, in front of original NACA building

Title: 
Complete NACA Muroc Staff of 1950, in front of original NACA building
Description: 
This group photo of National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) employees was taken in 1950 in front of the NACA research building on South Base at Edwards Air Force Base, California. The team that had been established at Muroc Army Air Field in the later part of 1946 had grown to about 13 members at the beginning of 1947. In September of 1947 the group became known as the NACA Muroc Flight Test Unit with a complement of 27 employees by January 1948. In February 1948 the name of the base changed to Muroc Air Force Base and in 1949 would change again to Edwards Air Force Base. In November 1949 the NACA Muroc Flight Test Unit became the NACA High-Speed Flight Research Station. In January 1950 there were 132 employees with those numbers increasing to 196 by January 1952.
Date: 
01.01.1950
Credit: 
NASA Dryden Flight Research Center (NASA-DFRC) [ http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/ ]
facet_where: 
California
facet_when: 
01-01-1950
facet_when_year: 
1946
Media: 
IMAGE
ID: 
E-33717
UID: 
SPD-NIX-E-33717
original url: 
http://nix.ksc.nasa.gov/info?id=E-33717&orgid=7